Tuesday, October 30, 2012

Andre Drummond: The Next Big Thing……For Real


I went on Hiatus, but I’m back to say what I did before on this blog. Andre Drummond is the next big man to make his mark on the NBA. You heard me. I didn’t say Demarcus Cousins or Anthony Davis. I’m not riding those bandwagons because I see a spark and an innovative game from the young athlete that spent only one year at UConn before being the  ninth pick of the 2012 NBA Draft.

Andre Drummond stands at 7 feet tall and moves unbelievably swift for someone who weighs 280 pounds. In the preseason, he averaged 19.6 points, 12.8 rebound and three blocks per 36-minutes and showed a little bit of his mid-range jumper in the summer league. His weakness would probably be his free throws and staying out of foul trouble, as he picked up four fouls in the first half against the Miami Heat in the preseason. The fact of the matter is, he is 19 years old and the potential looks universally high. He has the athleticism of Dwight Howard and Deandre Jordan with the quickness of a guard.  

Let me take a second to compare him to his rookie adversary Anthony Davis. Davis averaged 13.3 points, 9.7 rebounds and 1.7 blocks per 32 minutes. Their statistics are quite similar. They both suck at the free throw line, but as far as efficiency goes, Drummond’s field goal percentage is impressive at 62% for the preseason compared to Davis’s on average 45 percent. I would also like to add that Drummond is about 60 pounds heavier and has more of an NBA ready body and trust me, we’ve seen a player such as Lebron James, who is a beastly specimen, dominate a linky player like Kevin Durant to lead his team to a championship.

I will put all my limbs on the line and say that if Andre Drummond becomes a starter in the NBA, he will be an all-star and be a more dominating big man then Anthony Davis, Demarcus Cousins and all these big men that are overly hyped. Lawrence Frank is most likely going to start Jason Maxiell over him (I don’t know why), but he is the next superstar big man. Mark my words.

Check out this inspirational video that shows highlights of the big man’s impressive preseason.

No comments:

Post a Comment